Looking for a super easy and fun cupcake recipe that even the kids can make? These three ingredient cupcakes are so simple and tasty, and kids will love the carbonation and bubbles that come from the secret ingredient — a can of soda!
While we made this recipe with Cherry Coke, these delicious cupcakes rock with rootbeer and cola as well. Or if you’re feeling adventurous — try other soda flavors! The soda makes these cupcakes so wonderfully sweet and they couldn’t be any easier to make.
- One can of Cherry Cola
- One Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- Powdered Sugar
- Cupcake Wrappers
- In a large bowl mix cake mix and 2/3 of a can of cherry cola saving the rest of the soda for the frosting.
- Mix thoroughly (mixture will fizz due to carbonation — kids love this part!)
- DO NOT add eggs or any other ingredients called for on the box. You don’t need it.
- Scoop soda / cake mix mixture into cupcake wrappers
- Bake as directed on cake mix box but watch them closely. These tend to bake more quickly than if you had followed the traditional recipe as instructed.
- Once cool, mix a small amount of powdered sugar with the remaining soda until your frosting is the desired consistency. Frosting will fizz and overflow the cupcakes a bit like soda will overflow a rootbeer float, and is messy to do, but delicious!
- Allow frosting to harden a bit before serving.