Two Kids and a Coupon received admission to Six Flags Great America for purposes of this review. All opinions, rides rode, and good times had were completely our own.
One of the fun parts of having a blog is when you get invited to go check out fun area attractions. We love traveling to new and exciting venues, parks, restaurants, events and more with our family and sharing the inside scoop with all of you on what to do and where to go when you get there. Recently the fine folks over at Six Flags Great America in Gurney, IL invited us to come play for the day at Six Flags Great America. Since we were already in town for a blogging conference we could hardly say no, especially since we love Six Flags and their rides and attractions! Here’s our story.
We were lucky enough to visit Six Flags Great America a few weeks before to check out their amazing new igNight nighttime show. This new combination musical production, laser light, fireworks, and pyrotechnics was a way cool way to kick off the night and definitely something you want to check out if you’re at the park after dark. Day or night the park is beautiful and we loved the wonderful flowers, views and landscaping.
We were super lucky to be able to hit Six Flags Great America twice in about 3 weeks. There were so many different cool rides and attractions, even in two visits, we weren’t able to do everything we wanted to do. Some of our favorites included the amazing 2 story carousel and the Buccaneer Bay was one that made our little pirate nut very happy!
We also loved the kids area and as you can tell by my little guy’s face, he was having a great time on this Flintstone’s themed ride!
We loved our time at Six Flags Great America and only wish it was closer to home! If you’re thinking about going with your family sometime soon, check out our tips below:
What to Do and Where to Go
- This park has a great water park too. If the weather is warm, bring your suits and plan on lots of water fun too.
- If you have a little pirate fan like I do, don’t miss the Buccaneer Bay. The kids thought this ride was hilarious and loved shooting strangers with the water cannons. Just be prepared to get wet!
- The Sky Trek Tower ride offers amazing views of the park and definitely is one not to miss. I don’t like heights, so I was a little leery at first, but it goes slow and is enclosed and is totally OK and cool for the kids.
- Characters are everywhere at Six Flags and always willing to pose for photo ops, even in the rain – so be sure to bring your camera!
- If you have young children, don’t miss the double decker carousel
- Most of the kiddie oriented games cost around $5, but they offer a guaranteed prize of a superhero cape. This is one of our kids favorite parts of Six Flags and they love running around the park as a super hero for the day.
- This park is large and there is lots of walking. If your kids are young, bring a stroller or wagon to help rest little legs. If you don’t have one you can rent one at customer service.
How to Save When You Get There
- Save $20 on a ticket to Six Flags Great America With This Coupon.
- If you live in the area, or will be going more than once during the season, a season pass may save you money in the long run. Learn more about Six Flags season passes.
- If you’ll be attending the park multiple times over the season there is a Six Flags meal plan you may want to check out.
- Discover card members save 5% online and at the parks
- Outside food and drink is not allowed, but each guest is allowed to bring in a bottle of water. If you don’t want to take advantage of their dining plan, you may want to consider packing a cooler in the car and having a picnic in the parking lot.
- AAA members receive $5 off the general admission with the “Show Your Card and Save” program when presenting your membership card at any of their ticket booths (good for up to six discounted tickets). AAA members also receive a 10% discount on merchandise purchases of $15 or more
- Most military bases offer discounted admission tickets at their MWR/ITR offices. There is no military discount at the park ticket offices.
We had a blast on both our visits to Six Flags Great America this summer and hope to be able to head back again next summer. We thank them for their hospitality and if you’re looking for a fun family adventure in the Chicago area, you definitely should check them out!