Looking for a fun, family friendly competition for some of the big upcoming games? Having a chili cook-off can be a be a great competition for friends and family at your next gathering. It’s a great way to try new recipes and have everyone bring a dish to help provide food for your event. If you’re thinking about hosting a chili cook off at your next affair, here’s a few tips from Martie Duncan that you’ll want to check out.
- Send out invitations or call your guests to issue the “cook-off” challenge.
- Your guests should bring their best chili concoction in a crock pot or slow cooker. Include printed copies of the recipe to share with other guests, if desired.
- When the guests turn in the chili, number or name it for voting and make up a ballot. Ask everyone to taste and vote for their favorite. Award prizes for first, second, and third place.
- Make a condiment station with different types of crackers, Fritos, grated cheeses, sour cream, chopped scallions and peppers, chopped onion, Tabasco or other hot sauces, etc.
- Find a good spot to set up the bar; make sure it is away from the food to avoid congestion. Bloody Marys are a good choice for this party. Ice down some beer or wine and your bar is set.
- Bring a “throwdown” to your tailgate or your kitchen as the competition heats up when guests battle for first place with their best chili recipes. You might even make it an annual event with a “traveling” award that goes from winner to winner each year.
Thanks to Martie Duncan of MartieKnowsParties.com for these photos and tips!